I have a sentence in the form 10月10日をもって辞めたい, for example。 Does this をもって mean "before", or "after". Am I free on 10日 (i.e. work till 9日23:59). Or I still have to work on 10日, and get free on 11日?

Kind of classic time uncertainty in Japanese, but this use of をもって is new to me. I hope it has some certain meaning.

Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/a/72241/9831 Time: 「10月31日を以てSEを辞めます。」 = "I shall leave SE as of October 31." – Chocolate Oct 25 '19 at 9:33
    Possible duplicate of What is そんでもって? – ajsmart Oct 25 '19 at 12:39
  • it neither explains the time scope, neither reading is explained there, making 以 disappear in the search for をもって.Meanwhile, でもってis not even related to the topic You can see the correct answer below, given by sbkgs4686 – Asdf Oct 27 '19 at 4:04

The previous state continues until the time specified by 〜を以って / 〜を以て (written in 漢字 so people are aware this is not 持つ). So:

10月10日をもって辞めさせていただきます。

would mean:

I will work through October 10th, after which I quit.
I will be quiting as of October 11th.

In English, the similar expression "as of" takes a look at when the resultant state starts. In Japanese, 〜をもって takes a look at when the previous state ends. This is why I think 〜をもって can be so tough to get the hang of for native English speakers.

|improve this answer|||||
    I am not native. So, since advanced literature is available only in English, I am often floating in complete void. Thank you for clarification 👍 – Asdf Oct 25 '19 at 8:27
  • @Asdf That's my case too, our hope is to reach a Japanese level good enough to start learning in Japanese entirely – jarmanso7 Oct 26 '19 at 11:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.