I found this construction, which I don't really understand, a couple of time, which make me asking myself if it's a set phrase or something:

このスキー場は来月2日に2本のコースの営業を始め、本格的なシーズンを迎える12月下旬には10本のコースを利用できるようにしたいとしています

In every instance I found it (two or three, unfortunately I didn't noted the others and I don't remember them), it always were たい + としている; I know たい is the "I want" form, and the general meaning of the sentence seems to be "These ski resorts will begin selling [tickets] for two [ski] courses on the 2nd of next month, and by when the regular season comes in the last third of December they want to be able to use 10 courses".

ようにする is "To decide to do; To make an effort to", with たい it becomes "They want to make an effort to [have all 10 courses open]". The としています seems kinda useless, meaning that, if I'm right in my translation, I can understand it without that part. I know とする can have a ton of meanings (which I'm currently struggling with); it's "just" to make a ている form of a たい form, something like "Right now in this period they want to"?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.