In the opening of Violet Evergarden there is this verse:

わたしなんで泣いているんだろう

心になんて答えたらいい?

言葉はいつでも語るでもなくて

そこにあるばかりつのるばかり

わたしはあなたに会いたくなる

I'm having trouble understanding 言葉はいつでも語るでもなくて: the general meaning it's "Words aren't always spoken", but I don't understand what's the meaning of でもなくて.

I found this answer with different meaning for でもない, I was wondering if this case it's "Not worth...", so "It's not worth to always speak [I guess meaning 'say aloud'] words", but I'm not sure since the translation I saw didn't have that "worth" meaning, which to me sounds quite strong with respect to a simple "Words doesn't always have to be spoken".

I tried to ask to a Japanese teacher, and she just said something vague about this being a form that negates the sentence, but I don't understand it's grammar: would 語らなくて have a different meaning?

言葉はいつでも語るでもなくて

そこにあるばかりつのるばかり

First of all, the grammar in those two lines. When I saw you say "Words aren't always spoken", I knew I had to mention the grammar.

「言葉」 is the subject (action-taker) of all of the three verbs -- 「語らない」、「ある」 and 「つのる」.

What words do not do: 「語る」

What words do: 「ある」 and 「つのる」

Thus, the two lines are roughly saying:

"Words do not 語る; They just keep on あるing and つのるing out there."

「語るでもなくて」 does not mean "not worth speaking". It simply means "Words don't speak/talk", which is a major statement. The 「でもなくて」 part also implies that words do not do anything else that is important.

Though I hate to quote myself, this is exactly what I said in the linked Q&A.

2) denying explicitly one thing and also denying implicitly other things as well

So what do words do if they don't speak/talk? They just keep on existing and gathering out there.

• Thanks! The translations I found online were quite off, then. Since "Words don't speak" it's strange I'm guessing it could be figurative; could it mean words aren't always meaningful? – Mauro Oct 22 at 10:00
  • @Mauro IMO it’s like “words themselves do not tell a story”(people do) “they simply exist”(waiting for someone to use them) – Igor Skochinsky Oct 22 at 16:10
  • If that's the case I'm wondering about いつも: considering it and your interpretation I think it would be something like "Words themselves don't always tell a story", which if the implication is "people do" sounds strange. – Mauro Oct 22 at 16:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.