I've been thinking of this for a while and I need a bit of a clarification. For example, if I want to say "I think he is a good person", would it be:

a) 私は彼がいい人と思う  

or

b) 私は「彼はいい人」と思う

Also, if it has already been established from beforehand that I am the topic of the sentence, would it then be possible to shorten this to 彼がいい人と思う or 彼はいい人と思う (whichever one is right from the first part)?

When you use a quotative-と, the "quote" will basically be a normal non-polite sentence. That is, you can safely use は inside the quote, and you should not drop だ. Brackets are usually not used in a simple case like this. Therefore, the correct sentence is:

私は彼いい人と思う。

The polite version is:

私は彼はいい人だと思います。

As you may already know, 私は is normally omitted, so the following is almost always more natural unless you have to emphasize "I":

彼はいい人だと思う。 / 彼はいい人だと思います。

Note that this does not mean something like "He thinks (about) a good person". See this question for the reason.

There are exceptional cases regarding と:

• だ is sometimes dropped in informal sentences (known as だ抜き). 私は彼はいい人と思う is acceptable in a casual conversation.
  • A + を + B + と + verb is a different construction from this, and you can safely drop だ in such cases.

These are discussed in this question, but if you are a beginner, you may want to learn about them later.

• Thank you so much! Just for clarification, if the sentence was "He thinks I am a good person", then it would be: (彼は)私はいい人だと思っている. Is this correct? – user35675 Oct 18 at 2:56
    @user35675 Yes that is correct, but that 彼は is probably necessary to avoid confusion. 彼は私のことをいい人だと思っている is even better. – naruto Oct 18 at 3:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.