How can I know for sure in what situation I should use sharp vertical line and in what situation I should use rounded vertical line?

For example, from videos on youtube I do know for sure that vertical line in 申 is sharp and I do know for sure, that vertical line in 木 is rounded.

Is there some rule or hint or tip on defining myself when it is sharp and when it is rounded (tomed)?

My question is about vertical lines only.

enter image description here

enter image description here

• @Ambo100 Thank you that you added #calligraphy tag, but I do not understand why you deleted #handwriting tag. My question is about handwriting too. I do handwrite kanjies, but I do not do calligraphy (e.g. I do not use brushes and ink). I just use gel pen. – Tchibi-kun Oct 16 at 21:10
    probably because you showed a picture of calligraphy – Leebo Oct 16 at 21:32
  • @Leebo Ok, added screenshot of how vertical lines are different in handwriting with gel pen in a study notebook. – Tchibi-kun Oct 16 at 21:56
    @Tchibi-kun You may know this, but most people don’t distinguish sharp lines from rounded ones even when they write formal texts. – Yamacure Oct 16 at 22:52
    tome <- 止め, as in とめ、はね、はらい, perhaps? – Chocolate Oct 17 at 16:52

A recent guideline from 文化庁 clearly says this distinction is not important in most cases. See page 53 of this PDF (常用漢字表の字体・字形に関する指針(報告)(案)) (2016):

As for 木, you can also use はね (example).

Some recent elementary school teachers are extremely strict on this kind of thing, which has caused much controversy. Outside school, very few adults care about this. If you want examples for practice, find some 教科書体 font.

(The guideline above is for the general public. Professional calligraphers and historians may have their own opinions.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.