I studied that when there is a verb in negative form plus かなあ it means "I desire that", like in: 早く始まらないかなあ。

But, I came across this sentence: "見ないでくれないかなあ", which apparently means "I don't want you to see it". The problem is that I don't understand all these negative forms one after another, could somebody shed more light on this matter?

見ないでくれないかなあ

means:

Would you mind not looking?

In parts:

• 見ないで "not look" (i.e. "refrain from looking")

• くれない "wouldn't you" (do it for me)

• かなあ makes it a question; something akin to "I wonder if"

| improve this answer | |
    In this case, I would say that かなあ functions more as a 'softener', making it more like a polite request rather than an actual question. – kandyman Oct 16 '19 at 13:38
    @kandyman This is what I meant by giving an example "I wonder if" and the translation "would you mind" - these expressions act as softeners in English, don't they? The former uses a question-form in the relative clause, the latter turns the form of the whole English sentence into a question, although neither does demand an answer. So I don't think it is a mistake to claim か(なあ) works similarly. – Kasumi Oct 16 '19 at 17:13
    @Kasumi, whether those act as softeners or not in English I think is largely dependent on the intonation you use. I can imagine "Would you mind not looking?", sounding extremely curt, just like plain 見ないでくれないかな?would tend to sound. – sbkgs4686 Oct 16 '19 at 23:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.