Recently I played a game which is call Vivid Army and there's a little conversation between me and this guy but I found that there's some word is censored.

7873 is me. As you can see I have written "hehe n..."** but this is not what I original wrote. What I wrote is "hehe nice..." So why the "i-c-e" is censored?

enter image description here

Here is another example of some word's that censored.

enter image description here

Is it those censored words mean swear word in Japanese?

This seems like a question for whatever platform this conversation took place on. – Leebo Oct 16 at 3:57
  • It's actually a game which run by a japanese company. Need I put what game is it? – kit Oct 16 at 3:59
    It could be a very strange kind of Scunthorpe Problem, but I cannot fathom what would be the issues in those words. – ConMan Oct 16 at 5:13
    I) I don't think any of the example can be offensive in Japanese. ii) Unofficial wiki of the game lists some of the censored words (rather, combination of letters). Some of them are Japanese, others sensitive only in China, and some are just plain puzzling. I think the censoring system is poorly constructed. – Yosh Oct 16 at 5:19
    Maybe 'ice' is censored because of the US organization ICE? It's a long shot though. – Aeon Akechi Oct 16 at 6:47

I don't see any reason these words (or combination of letters) should be censored in Japanese language. To my full imagination, there are no slang, rhyme, abbreviation or metaphor that makes these phrases offensive.

In an unofficial wiki of the game, they list some of the words/phrases that are sensored in the in-game chat. The writer seems to agree with us; the description starts with "There are oddly many 伏字 (censoring with **), which sometimes makes the chat incomprehensible".

Anyway, to read the article---

• Some of the words are understandable as vulgar or violent; 殺す (to kill), タヒ (as in 死) etc.
  • Many words that can (ever) have political meanings are also censored; nations' names, 自由 freedom, etc.
  • Others includes those which are fine in Japanese, but seem to be censored in terms of Chinese language or government; "89", the kanji "操" (accordning to the wiki, it's a part of insulting phrase in Chinese).
  • However, many others are still very puzzling; "ri" (only in lower case), "コン", "ssa", "合成" to name a few.

Apparently the censorship is conducted in a least sophisticated way (see Scunthorpe problem as suggested by @conman). It is also apparent that the administrators are very sensitive to any word they come up with. However, these words or parts in your examples have no problem in Japanese: they are false-positives.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.