Others have asked about "chicken meat" in general, but I do not see any answer to this question: what is the usage difference between:

鶏肉【とりにく】, 鶏肉【けいにく】, 鶏肉【ちょうにく】, and チキン?

Thanks.

2 Answers 2

I'm a Japanese. I often use "鶏肉(とりにく)" and チキン.

けいにく or とりにく Please read here. Both readings are correct, but in general, people will read “とりにく”.

If I understand correctly, the two pronunciations represent geographical preferences, but とりにく seems to be the one used by national media. Is that correct?
    – Ned Reif
    Oct 13, 2019 at 15:13
  • Yes. It is correct.
    – chizuchizu
    Oct 14, 2019 at 13:15

The reading of 鶏肉{とりにく} or 鶏肉{けいにく} seems to have explained in the other answer. And, 鳥肉{ちょうにく} should be read as 「とりにく」.

So long as I know 鶏肉{とりにく} implies only chicken meats you usually buy at supermarkets in your neighborhood.

鳥肉{とりにく} implies "Duck meat" : 鴨肉{かもにく}, "Turkey" : 七面鳥{しちめんちょう}, "Chickens" : 鶏{にわとり} for sure, in rare case, "Sparrow" : 雀{すずめ} cooked as Yakitori, etc.

The poultry, which is not common other than chickens, is sold at wholesale market. Probably you can buy cooked Turkey at any supermarkets even convenience store before Christmas.

I imagine 「チキン」 is chicken meat cooked as "Fried Chichken" ; "Kentucky Fried Chicken" :「ケンタッキーフライドチキン」or「モスチキン」; "Broiled Chicken, Teriyaki Chichken" : 照り焼きチキン. So, its food texture is normally tender or crispy.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .