So I'm reading this sentence:

私は押し入れの奥から、夏の洋服を出して、かばんにいっぱい入れて出かけることにしました。

Basically I understand this sentence as:

Out of the clothes in the closet, I took the Western-style summer clothes out, I put them in the bag (full), then I took them out.

If it's incorrect, please correct me. However, I don't understand why the take out part is so complicated:

出かけることにしました

出かける (the action of taking out) instead of 出る. Then turn it into noun with こと then しました.

「私{わたし}は押{お}し入{い}れの奥{おく}から、夏{なつ}の洋服{ようふく}を出{だ}して、かばんにいっぱい入{い}れて出{で}かけることにしました。」

Your translation of that is:

"Out of the clothes in the closet, I took the Western-style summer clothes out, I put them in the bag (full), then I took them out."

Your TL obviously makes little sense. Why would one put clothes in a bag and (immediately) take them out?

「出{で}かける」 means "to go out", "to leave home", etc.

「出{だ}す」 means "to take something out", which you translated correctly.

Thus, it looks like someone is taking a trip, doesn't it?

Moving on to 「ことにする」.

This expression has been discussed many times before so I will be brief.

「Verb + ことにする」

means:

"to decide to [Verb]"

You will encounter this expression over and over again as long as you study Japanese.

My own TL:

"I decided to take my summer clothes out of the closet, stuff my bag with them and leave home."

(「洋服」 surely means "Western-style clothes" literally, but because what 99% of Japanese people wear on a daily basis are such clothes, the word just means "clothes" to us.)

dekakeru means to go out, as in for a stroll or to do errands. So the speaker put the clothes in a bag and left the house.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.