When I chat the term こんばんみ is occasionally used as a response to こんばんは. Is there any particular reason why this word is chosen?

「こんばん」 is a greeting presumably created and definitely made popular by comedian ビビる大木 a couple of decades ago.

As always, some people like to mimic whatever schtick they hear on TV that they find "cool" or simply "new".

「こんばんみ」 was even more popular a decade or two ago than it is now. I was a bit surprised to hear you still hear/see it often enough.

Here is the top page of Ooki's official blogs and you already know what he says at the very beginning!

• ヽ(=´▽`=)ノ こんばんみ~ – broccoli forest Oct 10 at 14:25
    Is it a play on how things sound, and then reinterpreting? 今晩は → //konban wa// → 今晩​我【わ】 → 我【わ】 = "me", substitute → 今晩ミー? – Eiríkr Útlendi Oct 10 at 21:33
  • @EiríkrÚtlendi I don't know Japanese, but isnt' 我(わ) too archaic? – Akangka Oct 11 at 11:53
  • @Akangka, define "too". For the purposes of a dumb joke (and from the perspective of someone who is very prone to making 親父ギャグ), everything the audience might be aware of is on the table. :) – Eiríkr Útlendi Oct 11 at 15:45
  • @EiríkrÚtlendi so it's not too archaic, then. – Akangka Oct 11 at 15:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.