They both mean to like the subject/topic, right?

I'm trying to figure out what のが actually means/adds to the sentence and when it is appropriate to put it in a sentence or leave it out. I have been told it is similar to stating 'I like things like ~' whereas just が is stating I like this one particular thing.'

Please explain to me and also please use hiragana as I am still a beginner.

Thanks!

Do you have some example at hands? In general, のが is used after verbs, and nominalize the preceding sentence, while is used after nouns; so 私{わたし}は泳{およ}ぐのが好{す}きです (I like to swim) vs 私{わたし}はケーキが好{す}きです (I like cakes), not sure if this is what you are referring to. Short verb + のが好{す}きです means "I like doing [verb]". – Mauro Oct 10 '19 at 10:06
  • Mauro thank you. This makes a lot of sense! This will help me in my studies so thank you for answering. :) – Gemma Taylor Oct 20 '19 at 23:23

If you want to say you like some plain noun (e.g., pizza, soccer, video game), の is never used. の before が好きです is necessary when you want to say something using a verb or an adjective.

• After a verb, as a nominalizer ("-ing"). See: Question with this sentence わたしはえをみるのがすきです

はしるがすきです。
    I like running.

はしるがすきです (≒"*I like run") without の is ungrammatical. Depending on the context, はしるの can also mean "the one that runs", but it's rather exceptional.

• After an i-adjective, as a pronoun meaning "one".

あかいがすきです。
    I like the red one.

(cf. おおきいをください。 The bigger one, please.)

あかいがすきです is ungrammatical.

|improve this answer|||||

I like running.
私は走るのが好きです。
I like the red one.
私は赤のが好き。
I like French better (than English). 私はフランス語のが好き。

verb+の=ing (noun)
の=one, thing
のが=の方が=more, better (adverb) This is a dialect.

I like the running one.
私は走るのが好き。
I like the red one better.
私は赤いののが好き。
I like running better (than swimming).
私は走るののが好き。
I like the running one better.
私は走るののが好き。

|improve this answer|||||
    Are you sure about the translations you give? 「私は走るのが好きです」 is translated in two different ways, and you state that 「のが」 is equal to 「の方が」 (which isn't, as far as I know); also, should "I like French more (than English)" be 「私はフランス語の方が好きです」 instead of 「私はフランス語のが好きです」 (which I think is just "I like French")? – Mauro Oct 12 '19 at 17:05
  • Sorry. I’d always thought that 私は走るのが好きです can be translated in two different ways and it depends on the context. But according to google, it may be a kind of dialect. I think it’s relatively common in Kanto region. – Yamacure Oct 12 '19 at 22:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.