What terms are used for a non-native speaker of a language? I found ネイティブスピーカー and 母語話者 but I want to know the Japanese words for a non-native speaker. Thanks.

• The Japanese Wikipedia uses 第二言語話者 to mean literally 'a speaker of a second language'. I'm not sure however if this is commonly used. – Ambo100 Oct 9 at 22:26
  • I needed to take French as a second language:「第二外国語」at University. Mais, Je ne parle pas Francais... – kimi Tanaka Oct 9 at 22:46
  • English normally has been in school curriculum until high school. 英語 should be 第一外国語 for many Japanese. Since I was not taught English until Junior-High, I guess my first encounter to foreign language was 中国語 used in the movie of 酔拳: Drunken Master by Jackie Chen. – kimi Tanaka Oct 9 at 23:05

Simply, you can use 非【ひ】ネイティブ or 非ネイティブスピーカー.

• that answer is too simple :) – JACK Oct 9 at 23:13
    @JACK But this is the answer to your simple question "what's the term for nonnative speaker?" :) – naruto Oct 9 at 23:23
  • almost sounds like hinative maybe a word pun. – JACK Oct 9 at 23:27
  • @JACK What kind of pun? Is this the first time you saw 非 ("non-")? – naruto Oct 9 at 23:34
    Ah, a pun on HiNative.com and 非ネイティブ! :D – naruto Oct 10 at 0:44

I would call a non-native speaker of Japanese [非日本語話者]{ひにほんごわしゃ}, though it might sound a little bit academic.

Uh, that’d be “non-Japanese speaker”. Did you mean 日本語非母語話者? (Not that I’d recommend that either given that it’s a mouthful) – Darius Jahandarie Oct 10 at 2:23
  • No, I didn't mean 日本語非母語話者. Although I googled and found 日本語非母語話者, it is awkward and mouthful as you say. I don't think 非日本語話者 is mouthful. Strictly speaking, non-Japanese speaker and non-native Japanese speaker might be different but could mean the same depending on the context. – canine Oct 10 at 3:44
    A non-native speaker of Japanese is usually someone who can speak Japanese. They just aren't native. I wouldn't introduce myself as a non-native speaker of German, for instance, because I speak no German. – Leebo Oct 10 at 4:13
  • Thanks Leebo. Now, I've got it. – canine Oct 11 at 0:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.