Can anyone provide the full list of noun or adjectives which starts with 不.for eg. 不可能. As it is more convenient and better way to write in Japanese rather than to mention its negative form

closed as off-topic by broccoli forest, ajsmart, Blavius, JACK, Dono Oct 11 at 10:19

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions seeking resources or advice about learning Japanese are off-topic here, but you may find our list of resources for learning Japanese helpful." – ajsmart, JACK, Dono
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I would caution you that just because a compound exists doesn't mean it is the better option than some longer formation that means the same thing. – Leebo Oct 9 at 3:29
    Note that, as you can see in the lists provided by the answers, the antonym of a word starting with 不 is not always obtained by removing the 不. E.g. 不足, 不満, 満足; 不運, 幸運. – Pablo H Oct 9 at 12:46

Using jisho.org, you can get two lists (one for nouns and another for adjectives) by leveraging search options. For each case, type into the search placeholder:

不* #noun

不* #adjective

Here you are the results for nouns and for adjectives. Jisho provides lists of 747 nouns and 277 adjectives starting by 不 respectively. I think that an or operator that enables you to combine both results in a single query is not available for jisho.org, it may be for other sources. If you want a list of words that can be both nouns and adjectives at the same time, you can chain the tags in a single search:

不* #noun #adjective

This produces 252 results (see here).

Take into account that using search options in a dictionary is as exhaustive as the dictionary you use. In general, you would get a different result if you try a similar search in a different dictionary. In the case of Jisho, it uses the JMdict database of words.

You're asking for something on a similar scale to providing a full list of English words that start with "un-". There are a lot. There are a lot that probably don't show up in a dictionary but which would be understood by many Japanese people on the street.

Here is a search on WWWJDIC for words with that kanji in the initial position, which is essentially what you asked for. I tried scrolling through to see if there was any indication of how many entries there are, but the best I can say is "more than 100, even if you limit it to common words".

the OP asks for a list of nouns or adjectives starting by 不, but in your results, they appear other kinds of words as well. – jarmanso7 Oct 9 at 3:37
  • Can anyone provide me the list ? so i can save it and learn from it rather than scrolling everytime in Jisho website – Sam Oct 9 at 10:00
    Jisho.org has an API in case you want to get this list programmatically: jisho.org/api/v1/search – jarmanso7 Oct 9 at 11:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.