I am studying sentences with my colleagues and this was one of the sentences we picked for the week:

All of us went besides him.
かれのほかにわたしたちみながいった。
彼のほかに私たち皆が行った。

After I consulted with a native speaker, I was told that the sentence makes it sound like "everyone went", as in "he went and we all went as well". To have the meaning I originally wanted I have been told to use this instead:

かれいがいのわたしたちみながいった

But then, my colleagues asked another native speaker which said that the original sentence was OK.

I would kindly like to ask the community for some additional opinions.

• Is there reason you have おこなった in one version and いった in the other? – Leebo Oct 2 '19 at 3:37
  • Thanks for pointing it out. That was a mistake we already corrected, but somehow ended up in my post. Fixed it now. – Zac R. Oct 2 '19 at 3:43

のほかに means "besides" as in "in addition to"; いがい means "besides" as in "excepting". So the sentences with のほかに means "In addition to him, we went, too", while the one with いがい means "With the exception of him, we went".

• A very clear explanation. Thank you very much. – Zac R. Oct 2 '19 at 6:53
  • @Zac R. Incidentally, if it is 彼以外にも私たち皆が行った, it is the same meaning as 彼のほかに私たち皆が行った. – Yuuichi Tam Oct 2 '19 at 8:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.