I'm reading a Japanese manga and I found this "maybe" slang sentence. A female character is asked to perform as actress in a school movie and her answer is:

"えーー女優とか、やったことないしなー"

My guess is "An actress? I've never done it" but the grammar meaning looks obscure. Maybe I'm wrong but two negations arise: "ない" and "しなー." I think it's a contraction coming from "しない" or "しなかった". Probably some particles have been omitted too.

しなー isn't a contracted negation. Rather, you have the sentence ending particle な preceded by し, which indicates a partial list of reasons.

Given the usage of the particles my understanding is as follows:

Whaaat? But I haven't acted before (among other reasons).

Note that the な at the end of the sentence also indicates that she isn't super confident in her ability either.

• If you want a more accurate translation from me, you will have to supply more context that leads up to the quote you have listed currently. – ajsmart Sep 30 '19 at 17:08
  • Many thanks! The sentence is related to an answer a manga character gives about a request to perform as an actress in a school movie. – Domenico Famularo Sep 30 '19 at 17:17
  • @DomenicoFamularo Please edit your question to include more information. Please include a couple lines of text from the manga ahead of the quotation of interest. Specifically, the question that leads to the answer, as well as the answer in full. – ajsmart Sep 30 '19 at 17:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.