I'm reading a Japanese manga and I found this "maybe" slang sentence. A female character is asked to perform as actress in a school movie and her answer is:

"えーー女優とか、やったことないしなー"

My guess is "An actress? I've never done it" but the grammar meaning looks obscure. Maybe I'm wrong but two negations arise: "ない" and "しなー." I think it's a contraction coming from "しない" or "しなかった". Probably some particles have been omitted too.

1 Answer 1

しなー isn't a contracted negation. Rather, you have the sentence ending particle な preceded by し, which indicates a partial list of reasons.

Given the usage of the particles my understanding is as follows:

Whaaat? But I haven't acted before (among other reasons).

Note that the な at the end of the sentence also indicates that she isn't super confident in her ability either.

• If you want a more accurate translation from me, you will have to supply more context that leads up to the quote you have listed currently.
    – ajsmart
    Sep 30, 2019 at 17:08
  • Many thanks! The sentence is related to an answer a manga character gives about a request to perform as an actress in a school movie. Sep 30, 2019 at 17:17
  • @DomenicoFamularo Please edit your question to include more information. Please include a couple lines of text from the manga ahead of the quotation of interest. Specifically, the question that leads to the answer, as well as the answer in full.
    – ajsmart
    Sep 30, 2019 at 17:19

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .