The labialized velar consonants are rare even in historical Japanese; besides (possibly) one verb (kweru), they (kwa-, gwa-, kwe-, gwe-) occur only in some Sino-Japanese morphemes. In Japanese, they merged with the non-labialized versions (ka-, ga-, ke-, ge-) as late as the early 20th Century.

But do they remain in Ryūkyūan?

Or, did they even exist in Ryūkyūan? Obviously, Ryūkyūan also borrowed multiple Sino-Xenic terms, some of which must have been necessarily present: such as name of the goddess Kwannon. Do we know the current status of words like this? Even if such words are Sino-Japanese borrowed from Japanese, did the labiovelars remain in Ryūkyūan even when, very recently, Japanese stopped pronouncing them with the //-w-// glide? Unfortunately, the vast corpus of scholarly work, to my knowledge, rarely deals with the Sinitic layer in Ryūkyūan.

• Surely these are labiovelar consonants? – Aeon Akechi Sep 27 at 9:47
  • Surely. Edited! – Alexander Z. Sep 27 at 11:09
  • FWIW, modern 蹴る【ける】 shows up as older くゑる, but there the くゑ were the full kana sound values //ku// + //we//. This verb くゑる was the 下二段活用【しもにだんかつよう】 derivation of older ワ行【ぎょう】-conjugation verb くう. Confusingly, the ゑ kana also apparently represented //je// instead of //we//, and there is old evidence of a くゆ form for this same "to kick" verb. At any rate, I can't find any verb //kweru//. – Eiríkr Útlendi Nov 26 at 21:42
+50

After poking around a bit in the Shuri-Naha Dialect Dictionary that covers the Okinawan branch of Ryūkyūan, it appears that here, at least, labiovelars did persist. A sampling of entries that show maintained labiovelars:

I did find a term where Japanese dictionaries indicate an older //gwa-// pronunciation, but Okinawan doesn't reflect the labiovelar.

This appears to be an exception to the rule, however, which raises the question of whether this was a later borrowing from Japanese, rather than an older import when the kanji term was borrowed from Middle Chinese.

Notably, the labiovelars I can find reflected in Okinawan are all traceable to older //kwa-// or //gwa-//. The //kwe-// and //gwe-// variants found in Japanese appear to have undergone different sound shifts in Okinawan, such that the labiovelar was apparently lost. One clear example I could find was トゥチー, cognate with Japanese 時計【とけい】. The likely original, Chinese-derived spelling was 土圭, and 圭 apparently had an older reading of //kwei//. So it seems that the //kwe-// labiovelars may have shifted first to something like //ki-//, and then underwent the regular change to become affricate //t͡ʃi-// (incidentally, much like the pronunciation of ⟨ci⟩ went from Latin //ki// to Italian //t͡ʃi//).

Please comment if the above does not fully address your question.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.