In English, the term is used for a special room where a man sets things up for his own personal use and enjoyment, his private space for entertainment and hobbies. The room is decorated and used by the man. I found the term 男の洞窟 in definitions but it indicates an actual cave. I initially assumed that the term was written in katakana, because it is an English slang term, but was unsuccessful. I was searching for a term to indicate the emphasis on a special room where the man is the primary user.

  • 2
    There is no evidence of prior research for this term. Please walk us through what your research has included (even sources).
    – ajsmart
    Sep 25, 2019 at 13:28
  • 1
    @ajsmart, I amended my question to include the term that I found. It is actually considered a slang term in English.
    – Jack Bosma
    Sep 25, 2019 at 13:39
  • 1
    You appear to have looked for a linear translation, then given up. I don't think that's enough substance. What else have you done to dig deeper? Can you find another term that might work? Why don't you think the other terms work?
    – ajsmart
    Sep 25, 2019 at 14:05
  • 6
    @Ringil yes, lots of people ask questions like this once or twice when they are new. JACK is responsible for about half of all of these types of questions by himself.
    – Leebo
    Sep 25, 2019 at 14:34
  • 3
    @Ringil I certainly hope I did not give the 'hate mail' vibe. The chat discussion is more clear on this matter, but my intention was to help improve the quality of the question. I agree that downvoting based on the asker is unfair, but if the quality if the questions does not improve, the issue will unfortunately persist. As such, my responses both here and in chat were aimed at helping improve question quality. Hopefully our discussion will lead to fewer negative responses in the future.
    – ajsmart
    Sep 25, 2019 at 16:23

1 Answer 1


Personally I haven't seen this term being used around in Japanese literature much. The reason why might be because how small most housing is in Japan, the creation of a man cave would be somewhat luxurious. So there might be no real equivalent other than putting your manstuff in the same room as the bedroom or common space. That said:

The easiest is to treat it as a loanword. マンケーブ seems to pop up a few results in a quick google.

Weblio suggests the use of 男用{おとこよう}の部屋{へや}, which transmits the intent of a room aimed for male use. 趣味{しゅみ} instead of 男用 would transmit the hobby part albeit not specifying male use.

Using a pronoun might help to identify exclusive use. 俺{おれ}の隠{かく}れ家{が} for "My man cave/hideout" could work, giving off the meaning of a space of retreat and relaxation. In the same vein, 俺{おれ}の秘密{ひみつ}基地{きち} might be good too, to give the vibe of a secret hideaway.

  • 2
    – chocolate
    Sep 25, 2019 at 16:35
  • Seriously? Good to know, assumed it was onyomi and not treated separately.
    – Eriol
    Sep 25, 2019 at 16:38
  • 2
    [女性用]{じょせいよう}、[男性用]{だんせいよう}、だけど [女用]{おんなよう}、[男用]{おとこよう}、 ですね。
    – chocolate
    Sep 25, 2019 at 16:39
  • I see, that makes sense. It is indeed from those words that I assumed so.
    – Eriol
    Sep 25, 2019 at 16:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .