Please allow to establish the context.

There is 1990 roleplaying video game titled “Illumina!” (Japanese title: イルミナ!), which is one of Cocktail Soft's products.

In the game, there is an evil necromancer named Rasuneti (Japanese name: ラスネティ). As the game goes on, she becomes a threat to the protagonist. Their confrontation finally ends with the protagonist running his sword through her heart. At that point, she says the following:

ば…ばかな…私が…こんな…

I think the translation goes something like this:

Ab...absurd...I am...like this...

I know that こんな usually means “such” or “like this”, but when I see the word being used like this in Japanese media, I keep getting the feeling that it is being used to mean something else.

Am I on the right track? What does it mean in that context?

Thanks in advance.

I think when used like that there is usually something not said, like in this case it could be こんなことあり得ない, "It's not possible something like this [to be defeated by the hero]", or 私がこんなふうに殺された, "Ab... absurd... me being killed like this...".

• Oh, thank you! I knew that there was something being omitted in that sentence! I guess I just needed some help in filling in the blanks. Anyway, thanks again! – Micheal Gignac Sep 24 at 22:48
    By 無理だ you meant "this is impossible"? Perhaps you wanted to say こんなこと(は)あり得ない. こんなこと無理だ usually means "I can never do this". – naruto Sep 25 at 3:31
  • Yes, thanks; I edited my answer. – Mauro Sep 25 at 7:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.