Context: I invited a person to participate in a chat. チャットに参加してください was my original sentence. Is my sentence and word choice correct? I was considering the word 関与.

If you don't show any research (aside from basic dictionary definitions) I'm just gonna downvotecha'. – BJCUAI Sep 24 at 21:17
  • @BJCUAI, I would rather learn from you as an advanced Japanese writer and speaker. I have learned from your posts and responses. I have gathered my knowledge of the Japanese language primarily through online chats and the use of Jisho.org only. – JACK Sep 24 at 21:50
    @JACK If you are interested in learning from your peers I’d start by not wasting their time with half-baked questions. – Darius Jahandarie Sep 24 at 21:54

関与 is a stiff word that refers to a serious and responsible involvement/engagement with a project, mission, contract, criminal case, and so on. It's not a light word used with casual parties, picnics and chats.

BTW, It's time for you to learn to use advanced learning materials before asking many questions here. Try ALC, Weblio and BCCWJ, and you should be able to understand 関与 is not the right word for a casual chat. If these still didn't help, be sure to include your previous research in your question.

+1 for the advanced learning materials suggestion. – ajsmart Sep 25 at 13:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.