Both words mean condition. In what context do we use them? Is one for expressing the condition of living things and the other one for the non-living things?

Related? : Difference between the words for “feeling” You might be asking 体調{たいちょう} for living thing and 具合{ぐあい} for non-living thing? – kimi Tanaka Sep 24 at 14:25
    ^ OP's asking about 調子vs具合, not 体調vs具合, no? – Chocolate Sep 25 at 8:11
  • @Chocolate Yes I am asking about what you said – Zaks Sep 25 at 12:11

They are very similar, but I feel the threshold between よい調子 and 悪い調子 is higher than that between よい具合 and 悪い具合.

• 彼は調子が良い: He is at his best
  • 彼は調子が悪い: He is not in his best condition, if not ill
  • 彼は具合が悪い: He is sick
  • 機械の調子が悪い: The machine is working, but something is wrong
  • 機械の具合が悪い: The machine may be broken
  • 調子はどう?: How's it going? / How are you?
  • 具合はどう?: How is your health? / Are you feeling any better?

And there are several set phrases where you can use only one of the two, for example:

• 調子がいいことを言う: to sweet-talk; say nice things
  • 調子にのる: to push one's luck
  • その日は具合が悪い: I'm busy that day; It's not a good day for me
  • If the threshold between よい調子 and 悪い調子 is higher than that between よい具合 and 悪い具合, does it mean that よい調子 is a better condition than よい具合 and 悪い調子 is a worse condition than 悪い具合? – jarmanso7 Oct 10 at 7:13
  • If so, it seems contradictory to me that in 機械の調子が悪い the machine is still working, while in 機械の具合が悪い it may be broken. Because working is definitely a better condition than broken. Could you explain it a little bit more, please? よろいくお願いします! – jarmanso7 Oct 10 at 7:16
    @jarmanso7 No, "high threshold" means 悪い調子 may be used even if someone/something is just a little worse than "best". For example 調子が悪い is typically used to describe a poor-performing sport player who is not really sick. – naruto Oct 11 at 16:52
  • Thank you very much, I understood it now. – jarmanso7 Oct 11 at 18:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.