I'm struggling to understand the sentence in the exchange below. To explain the context, these characters have been shipwrecked and landed on an unknown island. They find that several of their companions have been killed, by monsters, and so they go to find the culprit. As part of this they meet a friendly monster, and ask them the location of the strongest monster in this area, thinking that this monster will either be the culprit, or they will be able to talk to them and find out who did kill their companions. And in the end they find out it was this monster that killed their companions.

話を聞きに行く。もしも犯人なら―

アーリンちゃんと戦うんですか~?

場合によってはそうなる。

アーリンちゃんは優しいですよ。

そうか。だからこそ、という場合もあるな

I understanding the meanings of だからこそ and という場合もある individually so that is not what is causing me difficulty in understanding. What is causing me difficulty is that the words before and after だからこそ are not explicitly stated.

Could the implied elements something like 同じ魔物だからこそ優しい or is there a more obvious interpretation to a native speaker?

• I think it just refers to the aforementioned 優しい: since だからこそ means "for this reason", does it make sense in the context for it to mean, "Since [アーリンちゃん is nice]" as reason for the following statement, repliying to whoever said that アーリンちゃん is nice? As far as I understand it I think it makes sense with the given quote. – Mauro Sep 22 '19 at 12:46
  • If I am understanding what you are saying correctly, then I'm not still not sure how that makes sense. i.e. 優しいだからこそ. I originally did think this was how it was meant to be parsed but I couldn't understand how that could lead to them fighting the monster – Desley01 Sep 22 '19 at 13:16
  • If I'm right in my understanding of that exchange (but I could be wrong, that's way I'm commenting and not answering), the last sentence says that since the monster is nice, maybe they won't have to fight it: "Since they are nice [だからこそ], having to fight won't be the case", reading the last as negation. I'm happy to have someone more knowledgeable than me confirm or correct this, though. – Mauro Sep 22 '19 at 13:39
    な as negation only applies to commands (言うな/食べるな etc.), so that's not the meaning used here – Igor Skochinsky Sep 22 '19 at 15:02
  • That was my doubt, thanks; just to be sure I'm reading this right, アーリンちゃん is the strongest monster they are looking for? – Mauro Sep 22 '19 at 15:44

I have two interpretations but not sure which is correct.

1. だからこそ refers to “アーリンちゃんは優しい”. I.e. especially in such case [a fight may still be necessary]
  2. だからこそ refers to the speaker’s previous line (場合によって), i.e. “As I just said, [it depends]”. In that case, という場合 refers to “アーリンちゃんは優しい”.

However, こそ makes #2 somewhat unnatural so #1 looks more likely.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.