Taken from https://japanesetest4you.com/japanese-language-proficiency-test-jlpt-n1-listening-exercise-6/, question 4. Select the most appropriate response:

では、そろそろ新年会もこの辺でお開きにしましょうか。

1. ああ、この場所がいいですね。

2. そうですね。もう遅いですし。

3. 皆さんおそろいなので、まず乾杯しましょう。

The correct answer is 2. But I'm not sure why 1 doesn't also make sense, since the first speaker uses 「この辺で」.

Why would the first speaker use 「この辺で」? Translated literally, "Let's get the New Year's party started around here soon" sounds a bit odd. Is there a colloquial usage I'm not familiar with?

Firstly, お開きにしましょう means "let's wrap it up" not "let's get started."

I guess you can kind of think of it as the people are going to spread out and move away. I'm not sure of the full etymology.

Therefore #2 is the most appropriate, and #3 would be the complete opposite.

Option #1 would be kind of a strange interaction.

A: "Let's wrap things up now"

B: "Yes this is a good location"

この辺 can also mean "now" or "at this point" temporally. Words like ここ and そこ can also be used for time.

• OK, so I misunderstood the meaning of 開く. Thanks – Hikonyan Sep 21 at 16:19
    @Hikonyan To be clear, お開きにする is a set expression. It's not just a conjugation of 開く. I mean, it's a conjugation of 開く in the strict sense, but here it's an expression that has taken on one unambiguous meaning, not a general usage that could be any of 開く's meanings. – Leebo Sep 21 at 16:26
  • @Leebo Suggestion for improvement re: I'm not sure of the full etymology -- according to 明鏡国語辞典, お開き is a noun that means "a party, gathering, etc. coming to an end" (祝宴・会合などが終わること。). As for how お開き took on this meaning, it is now used as a nicer-sounding alternative to phrasings that might be perceived as too blunt, like 終わる or 閉じる, and originally it was a euphemism for 去る and 帰る. (「終わる」「閉じる」をきらって言い換えたことば。もと「去る」「帰る」の[忌詞]{いみことば}。) – Setris Sep 22 at 0:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.