I have the following sentence from chapter 140 of the manga, 『五等分の花嫁』.

今の父と再婚するまでの私たちは極貧生活でした。

Context: One of the girls (of 5 siblings) is speaking with her male friend and she is discussing how that before their family became rich, they used to be quite poor.

Here is my attempted breakdown. I believe the subject of the clause marked as the topic to be the girl's mother (I could very well be wrong here, causing my whole interpretation to go awry).

今の父と再婚するまで - Until her second marriage with the current father.

- possessive?

私たちは極貧生活でした。 - 私たち is the subject and as for them, they were poor.

I've seen plenty of "noun + の + noun" situations and plenty of situations where a clause precedes の allowing の to treat the clause as a noun.

Example: 涼しい飲み物の一番の選択 - The best choice of cool drinks

Example: 漫画を読むのが楽しい。 - The thing of reading making is fun.

I've also seen where you can combine particles like で and の to make noun phrases. The pattern here is "noun + での + noun".

図書館での勉強 - studying in the library.

I'm starting to think that the usage is similar to the first. One issue is that I'm unsure what まで is. Jisho says it's a particle, although I only considered true particles to be "が、を、で、へ、に、も、は". Considering it to be a noun, the structure would be, "relative clause packed onto noun (まで) + の + noun".

The English translation sounds goofy but it would be something like this:

• As for us (私たち) of class "until our mother remarried with our current father," we were poor.

Would this be correct? I think the root cause of my misunderstanding is まで and seeing it as a noun. までの seems a bit weird to my western eyes.

I appreciate all help that comes my way.

• What speaks against まで as a normal particle, though? You already know the grammar of your example 図書館での勉強. までの is the same concept, is it not? – Kaskade Sep 20 at 20:42
  • @Kaskade my example was noun + での (combined particles) + noun. This is 今の父と再婚する (relative clause) + までの + noun (if we aren't considering まで to be a noun). Besides the nominalizing の, I thought the one rule was that what precedes a particle needs to be a noun. – UCProgrammer Sep 20 at 20:50
  • That's actually a misconception. There's まで - like in your examples - that can follow verbs, but there's also も, for example, which can follow the て-form of verbs (行っても -> "even if I go"). Even に can come directly after the dictionary-form of a verb. – Kaskade Sep 20 at 20:54
  • the title is asking about の but the body somewhat sidetracks into まで. Which の are you having trouble with? both? – Igor Skochinsky Sep 20 at 21:07
  • My bad. the までの. I think it's the possessive の but I'm not so sure – UCProgrammer Sep 20 at 21:08

Seems to me it's just the adjectival の.

(今の父と再婚するまで)の(私たち)

"Us" (私たち) is modified with "until [the time when] my mom married our current dad"

You were correct when you compared it to a noun-phrase like "図書館での勉強 - studying in the library". I'm far from an expert but you can see the adjectival の used together with other particles all the time.

Other examples of までの taken from https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%E3%81%BE%E3%81%A7%E3%81%AE:

~までの地図 - A map to ~

~までの日を数える - Count down the days until ~

~までのタクシー代 - Taxi fare to ~

and so on.

• That's what I thought as well, even though I mistakenly called it possessive instead of adjectival. I've come to know that aside from particles, there are three types of words in Japanese: verbs, i adjectives and nouns. So seeing まで as 迄 (a word with no kana so it must be a noun), it seemed most likely that this was a noun の noun situation working in a modifying sense. Thank you for confirming – UCProgrammer Sep 21 at 1:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.