When sending a thank you message to a friend that showed me and my family around in her country, I wrote something along the lines of

We had as much fun as we did thanks to you.

Later when I was trying to put that into Japanese, the closest I could get was

(わたしたちは)あれほど楽しめたのは○○さんのおかげです。

which I think gets the point across, but I don't think I've heard a native speaker say anything like that and I don't want to be speaking English even though the words are Japanese.

What would be a more natural expression for this situation?

Is a phrase that more literally means "as much as we did" simply not used?

• I guess the change of(わたしたちは)into (わたしたちが)sounds "as much as we did". – kimi Tanaka Sep 16 at 22:57

You are right that a native may not put it in that way, but if you want to be sincere, better at least not to make your friend think that you just copy-pasted what a native would say.

It may be more about culture than language, that a Japanese may more likely focus on expressing gratitude for what the host did, rather than on how he/she felt about what the host did. So, simply 本当にお世話になりました. But, saying that would just seem like a generic copy-paste, so, I think yours probably works better, or write e.g. starting with the above "copy-paste" and add [might be better to address his/her family name] "Xさんのおかげですごく楽しかったです。" [Or, depending on your + your host's age, possibly replace "すごく" by "とても"]

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.