Whats the difference between 見つからない and 見当たらない?

Is 見つけない used for physical objects? Like i cant find the book etc

and 見当たらない eg -> I cant find that line on this page?

In the middle of all this where does 見出す fit in?

I want to know the difference in nuanaces please

You should probably change your question to be about 見つからない instead of 見つけない, since the former is intransitive like 見当たらない. – Darius Jahandarie Sep 13 at 18:04

見つけない implies that something was lost and you are looking for it.

見当たらない means that you are looking for something and you cannot see it in your immediate vicinity (as the word implies, within your field of vision). I often use this phrase when looking for something on a piece of paper or a webpage.

見つけない implies that something was lost and you are looking for it. <-- That would be 見つからない. – Chocolate Sep 13 at 12:53
  • @Chocolate 見つけない is active voice, みつからない is passive voice. The appropriate voice should be used. – paullb Sep 13 at 13:19
    You can say 見つからない when (i.e. 見つからない can imply that) something is lost and you're looking for it (close to 見つけられない), but not 見つけない in that situation (i.e. 見つけない can't imply that). 見つけない would be more like "won't (try to) find" (close to, but less natural than 探さない) – Chocolate Sep 13 at 13:21
  • @Chocolate That's fair, but the question isn't what would be said but the difference between the two words presented. – paullb Sep 13 at 13:22
  • Thanks for this answer, then how is 見出すdifferent from 見当たらない – Abi Sep 17 at 0:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.