Taken from question 4 and 5 of this URL: https://japanesetest4you.com/japanese-language-proficiency-test-jlpt-n1-listening-exercise-5/

QUESTION 4: The audio starts with: あ~ぁ、やってらんないよなあ。 I usually feel pretty confident with spoken Japanese contractions, but I can't make heads or tails of what this statement is. What is "やってらんない" short for?

QUESTION 5:

The statement and three possible responses are:

この料理、二人分にしちゃ物足りないよね。

1 うん、食べた気がしないね。

2 ひとり分で十分だったよね。

3 本当、食べきれないよ。

The correct answer is 1, although I'm confused why 2 wouldn't be the better answer.

My translations are: This meal wouldn't be enough for two people. 1: Yeah, but I'm not feeling hungry. 2: It was plenty for one. 3: I really can't eat it all.

What am I missing here?

QUESTION 4

やってらんない is short for やっていられない. やっていられない becomes やってられない, which becomes やってらんない (re-to-n). But since this is a colloquial and slangy expression, we see this almost always in the contracted form. Variations include やってられるか, やってられっか, やってられん, やってらんねー, etc. It's a set phrase meaning "I can't stand it anymore", "I've had enough", "I'm so tired of this", etc.

QUESTION 5

The options actually mean:

1: Yeah, I don't feel like I ate anything.
2: (Ordering just) one serving/dish would've been enough.
3: I really can't eat it all.

So 2 and 3 mean they ordered too much. Here 1人分 ("one person's worth/portion") is the same as 1人前 ("one serving (of food)"). "It was plenty for one" would be something like 1人なら十分だったけどね.

• 「人分なら十分だったけどね.」wouldn't this be better translated as "It would be enough for one person, though" when following the previous line? – user26484 Sep 12 at 21:59
  • @user26484 My mistake, I should not have included 分. – naruto Sep 12 at 22:01
  • Oh, I didn't even catch that; I was more curious on changing the よね, けどね portion. My understanding was that the second answer would've been correct if it had けどね instead (not よね). – user26484 Sep 12 at 22:09
    @user26484 1人分なら十分だった or 1人分で十分だった means "ordering one serving would've been enough" and 1人なら十分だった means "It would've been enough if I were alone". Here they are saying 物足りない even though they ordered two servings, so only the latter fits the context. けどね is optional. – naruto Sep 12 at 22:15
  • I somehow thought of it as "if it was a portion for one person [if it was for one person]." I didn't read your correction carefully and didn't notice that 分 was removed. Oops >< – user26484 Sep 12 at 22:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.