I think this sentence:

あまり日がささまいためか、どれもひょろひょろとした貧弱な木だ

means something like "Since they get too much sunlight, they are shabby trees", but while I know ために I can't find anything about ためか in my grammars; I was wondering if they have the same meaning.

No, ためか and ために don't mean the same thing -- just as か and に do not mean the same thing.

The か in ためか is the same か used as the verbal question mark. This indicates uncertainty and indefiniteness.

(Separately, I'm pretty sure you have a typo, where ささまい should be ささない instead.)

If the sentence said あまり日がささないため[に]{●}, that would be a definite reason. However, the sentence instead says あまり日がささないため[か]{●}, indicating that the speaker is uncertain, and is proposing a possible theoretical reason for the observed result. In English, we would use words like maybe, perhaps, possibly, and the like to express a similar idea.

• You could be right on the typo: I wasn't able to find the phrase in the text, so I went with what I wrote down, but when I first translated it by memory I translated あまり as "not much", which means I was remembering a negative verb afterwards. – Mauro Sep 12 '19 at 17:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.