Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it.

I understand that when the on'yomi reading is used, this is associated with words with a more "literary" feeling or with written usage. However, I don't know if this is a relatively safe way to differentiate which usage is preferred of if it's just applied in some cases.

Thanks in advance!

Please beware that questions asking for tools and resources are considered off-topic here. Therefore, at least a part of your question is out of the scope of this site. However, I still think that your question can be reframed to fit here (e.g. "How to differentiate between a word used in spoken language and a word used in written language" or such). Would you mind to rephrase it? Thank you! – jarmanso7 Sep 12 at 3:14
  • Possible duplicate of Are 漢語 always more formal than 和語? – naruto Sep 12 at 9:53
  • Provide some examples! – JACK Sep 15 at 17:05
  • I can't think of anything from the top of my head, but usually, in Japanese class, when we had to do a small composition, I would have to look up a couple of words I didn't know, and sometimes the teacher would say "OK, I understand the meaning but that word is mostly for spoken language", or vice-versa. So I don't know if it is directly linked to formality, and thus solvable with kango/wago, or if it's something you just learn with practice. – JPB Sep 16 at 0:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.