I understand the following terms, as romaji is used for terms that have a direct meaning in English, such as DIY, SS, NTT, JR, and LDK to name a few. Why is romaji used for terms such as KK (Kabushiki Kaisha) and NHK (Nihon Housou Kyoukai) that are pronounced in Japanese? Thank You!

Do you remember you recently asked a very similar question? What makes this question different from the previous one? – naruto Sep 10 at 15:30
  • What answer do you expect to this question? A simple 'yes'? An exhaustive list of all acronyms? What will you do with the information? – user3856370 Sep 10 at 15:51
  • I will reword the question. – JACK Sep 10 at 15:59

I don't understand why you ask "why". There is no such a rule that Latin acronyms must be made only from pure English words. Here are some nationally- or globally-known organizations based on romanized Japanese:

• YKK = 式会社, world's largest zipper manufacturer
  • SNK = 新日画, game software company best known for King of Fighters franchise
  • TDK = 学工業, best known as a compact cassette manufacturer
  • DNP = 大日本印刷 (P = printing), Japan's one of the largest printing companies
  • KNT = ーリスト, travel agency
  • DHC = ンター, now known for cosmetics and supplement

And there are also many slangy romaji abbreviations like KY (空気読めない) and JK (女子高生).

• Latin letters can only be used because acronyms can not be written using Kanji characters. The term must be written out entirely if using Kanji. – JACK Sep 11 at 10:32
  • 細かいですがTDKは、「東京電気化学工業」ですね。 – kimi Tanaka Sep 11 at 12:01
  • @kimiTanaka 写し間違えました…ありがとうございます – naruto Sep 11 at 15:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.