Do any other widely used acronyms besides KK (Kabushiki Kaisha) and NHK (Nihon Housou Kyoukai) translate directly into Japanese? I have seen DIY, SS, NTT, JR, and LDK to name a few, but the terms would have English word meanings. Thank You!
I don't understand why you ask "why". There is no such a rule that Latin acronyms must be made only from pure English words. Here are some nationally- or globally-known organizations based on romanized Japanese:
- YKK = 吉田工業株式会社, world's largest zipper manufacturer
- SNK = 新日本企画, game software company best known for King of Fighters franchise
- TDK = 東京電気化学工業, best known as a compact cassette manufacturer
- DNP = 大日本印刷 (P = printing), Japan's one of the largest printing companies
- KNT = 近畿日本ツーリスト, travel agency
- DHC = 大学翻訳センター, now known for cosmetics and supplement
And there are also many slangy romaji abbreviations like KY (空気読めない) and JK (女子高生).