What is the difference between

以下の条件を満たすような日本語スピーカーを探しています

and

以下の条件を満たす日本語スピーカーを探しています

?

Please describe what is meant by weird? – JACK Sep 8 at 16:32
  • I say weird because I could not find any reference as to what the ような in the first sentence means. I could not say that the first sentence is incorrect either because the sentence was from a person who has passed JLPT1 (compared to me, well, you could say I am just a beginner). – Allan Garcia Sep 8 at 18:43
  • Take an opportunity to search the term on this site, as I have found many questions addressing the same term. – JACK Sep 8 at 18:44
    @JACK Please stop attempting to answer questions in the comment section. – snailboat Sep 8 at 20:09
    What I can say for sure is that you probably wanted to use 日本語話者. – broccoli forest Sep 9 at 7:10

First of all, welcome to the Japanese Stackexchange!

「よう」 can be used in many different patterns and you can combine it with nouns, adjectives verbs and so on (check out this excellent answer about it). However, if I were to simplify it to the core, it basically means "like" or "similar to".

For example:

面白【おもしろ】い本。Interesting book

面白い【おもしろい】ような本。Book that is like interesting [books].

I know the second sentence sounds silly in English but I hope it helps me make my point. The group of books that could fit into the description of second sentence is wider than the amount of books that fit in the first one. The books that fit into the first sentence would be strictly the interesting books, but the books that fit into the second description would include interesting books, amusing books, books you could re-read several times… i.e. any book that is interesting or that is like an interesting book or that shares some qualities with interesting books for whatever reason.

So, I think that adding 「ような」in your original sentence makes a difference:

①以下の条件を満たす日本語スピーカーを探しています。Looking for a Japanese speaker that satisfies the following conditions.

②以下の条件を満たすような日本語スピーカーを探しています。Looking for a Japanese speaker that satisfies the following conditions, or such.

For example, if it was an IT job offer and the conditions to meet were "to hold a degree in Computer Science", someone who has a degree in Telecommunications Systems (a major related to Computer Science but different) would have more chances to get the job in the case ② than in the case ①, because in ① they are looking for Computer Science graduates specifically, but in ② they are looking for someone who can perform like a Computer Science graduate, regardless of whether he holds that particular degree or not.

Here you are one of the answers in this site that explains it nicely.

「面白いような本」なんて言わないです。 – Chocolate Sep 9 at 1:18
  • @Chocolate じや、ほかの例文を教えていただけませんか。 – jarmanso7 Sep 9 at 7:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.