I want to say

In Japan, I want to ride a bullet train.

I have

にほん で ぼく は しんかんせん を のります。

Is 「にほん で」 correct? Should it be 「にほん に」? Or perhaps something else?

I would suggest that you edit the English part a bit to say either 'I want to go to Japan to to ride a bullet train' or 'When I go to Japan I want to ride a bullet train', or 'I want to ride a Japanese bullet train', etc. – BJCUAI Sep 8 at 1:45
    J, please try to avoid answering questions in the comment section. – Chocolate Sep 8 at 2:23

「にほん で ぼく は しんかんせん を のります。」

is a nice attempt.

I would, however, like to address two items here.

「のります」 simply means "will ride". If you want to say "want to ride", you might want to say 「のりたいです」.

「Verb in Continuative Form + たい」 means "to want to [verb]".

「のり」 is the continuative form of 「のる」.

The next thing I need to point out is the particle choice. We say 「しんかんせんのる」 and not 「しんかんせんのる」. That is because 「のる」 is an intransitive verb and thus, it cannot take 「を」.

is にほん で correct? should it be `にほん に"? Or perhaps something else.

It is correct. You cannot use 「に」 unless the verb is "stative". 「のる / のりたい」 is not stative.

Stative verbs are 「すむ」(to live), 「いる」(to be),「たいざいする」(to stay), etc. Those should take 「に」.

Therefore, the correct (by any standard) sentence will be:

「にほん ぼく しんかんせん のりたいです。」

"That is because 「のる」 is an intransitive verb and thus, it cannot take 「を」." I'd argue it's the other way around:「のる」happens to not be able to take「を」and therefore it falls into the category we call "intransitive". But maybe that's just me. Also, it's more of a philosophical point. – Arthur Sep 8 at 21:55

l'électeur’s answer is substantially correct, but since “In Japan” is setting the context for the rest of the sentence, I'd say

にほん で は、 ぼく

And in fact you could probably leave out ぼく が, and just say

にほん で は、 しんかんせん に のりたい です。

since the listener will infer that the subject of のりたい is ぼく.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.