In a comment on this question it was pointed out that the combination "をだけ" appears a lot in a Google search, despite my thought that it was ungrammatical. On closer inspection it seems that many of these hits are of the form をだけを. Here's an example:

体重をだけをみてはいけない
It's no good if you're only looking out for your weight (not sure about my translation)

It seems to occur far too often for this to be a typo.

What's going on here?

I am surprised that there are many をだけを. – Yuuichi Tam Sep 6 at 16:40
    「にだけに」「のだけの」「がだけが」とかも結構ヒットしますね・・ – Chocolate Sep 6 at 16:47
    Bizarre... must be a typo but I don’t understand why there would be so many. – Darius Jahandarie Sep 6 at 21:47
    @Setris でも、"をだけ" と "だけを" で同じようにやっても、最初は多いんですけど、最後のページまで行ったら、それぞれ「Page 14 of about 135 results」「Page 26 of about 251 results」になってしまうんです。。 "をだけを" が120なら、"だけを" や "をだけ" はもっと多くてもよさそうなのに。 いつも思うんですけど、グーグルって、こういうとこ、どうなってんですかね。。 – Chocolate Sep 13 at 2:40
    ??? I have no search results like 「をだけを」 in Google search with Japanese as the primary language. Anyway 体重をだけをみてはいけない is totally broken and there's no translation for it. 体重だけをみてはいけない is valid. – Takumi Sueda Sep 20 at 16:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.