According to the dictionary, 運転手 means driver and 車掌 means conductor. So, 運転手 would be any person at the controls/steering wheel of any vehicle, while 車掌 would be someone who "is in charge of a train and travels with it, but does not drive it" (according to an English dictionary. I am not an English native speaker so I can't grasp the difference between both words in English either). So, the latter is only for trains? and if he does not drive, what does a 車掌 do in a train?

If you could provide some example sentences that illustrate the difference between both words, it would be nice.

よろしくお願いします!

[運転手]{うんてんしゅ} is responsible for driving the vehicle like the car, the bus or the train. As you suppose, [車掌]{しゃしょう} only applies to the person who works on the train. [車掌]{しゃしょう} takes care of other than driving the train duties like...

• Closing door while maintaining customer's safety
  • Informing the next station name
  • Taking care of the sick person while the train is on the way to next station
  • (If you ride the bullet train) Confirming if you are in the right train by checking the ticket.
  • (If you stop at an unmanned train station in rural area) Collecting your train ticket (to make sure you are not cheating...)

[運転手]{うんてんしゅ} always stays in the first car of the train while [車掌]{しゃしょう} is usually in the last car (but [車掌]{しゃしょう}may move to the other cars).

By the way you don't use [運転手]{うんてんしゅ} for the person driving the airplane or the ship. They are called [操縦士]{そうじゅうし}. A pilot of the airplane you can call [パイロット]{ぱいろっと} which came directly from the word "pilot".

I could not figure out the good sentences though I hope it gives you an idea.

• @JACK thank you for the edit :) – plsplsme Sep 5 at 0:08
  • @naruto thank you for the edit. I should check my answer more carefully... – plsplsme Sep 6 at 1:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.