Is there a term used for a new kanji that replaces an outdated one? 國 and 国 are good examples.

  • 1
    I assume the answer I provided is sufficient, as you didn't provide one of these numerous examples. – BJCUAI Sep 4 '19 at 11:23
  • 3
    It'd be nice if you mentioned a few examples of the kanji you're inquiring about -- it'd make sure everyone is talking about the same thing. – desseim Sep 4 '19 at 11:48
  • 1
    Related or duplicate: japanese.stackexchange.com/a/42954/9831 – Chocolate Sep 4 '19 at 12:25
  • 國 and 国 are good examples, since the new term is written differently from the old one. What is this called in Japanese? – Jack Bosma Sep 4 '19 at 13:29

旧字体 Old-form 
新字体 New-form

Source: Just look up 國 or somesuch on Wiktionary.

  • What would the new kanji term be called? – Jack Bosma Sep 4 '19 at 12:59
  • 2
    Wha? You're confusing me, dude. Why don't you list some examples, like the comments under your post are asking? – BJCUAI Sep 4 '19 at 13:14
  • 国 is a good example, as it is completely rewritten from its original form as provided in your original answer. – Jack Bosma Sep 4 '19 at 13:25
  • 1
    ? I'm confused. BJCUAI wrote 新字体 New-form, so 新字体 is the term you're looking for, no? @Jack 😕 – Chocolate Sep 4 '19 at 13:32
  • @Chocolate Yes it is. – Jack Bosma Sep 4 '19 at 13:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.