My book says that


is a structure used to say

A accounts for [fraction] of B

So far, so good. But it also provides the following two alternative structures, which bother me:



What I don't really understand is why in the first structure B, that's supposed to be the whole which A is a part of, is marked with the particle , while is used in the other two structures.

Moreover, I could not find any example that uses the second structures.

Are these alternative structures commonly used? And how can I wrap my head around which of the whole and the part is marked by what particle?

  • I hope my question is clear, if it's not please tell me, or feel free to edit it :)
    – Right leg
    Sep 3 '19 at 22:19
  • "in the first structure B [...] is marked with the particle を" Don't you mean "marked with の"?
    – jukbot
    Sep 4 '19 at 3:47

A B [割合{わりあい}] 占{し}めている

A B 占める割合は~

B 占める A 割合は~

Before saying anything, I will say that B represents the whole and A represents a part of it. 「割合」 means "percentage".

The next thing I am going to say is that all three phrases above are common, grammatical and natural-sounding.

Now, moving onto the nitty-gritty..


We use 「を」 when preceded directly by the percentage/fraction.

  • 「日本人は日本の人口の95% 占めている。」

  • 「日本の人口の95% 日本人が占めている。」


We use 「に」 when preceded directly by the object being discussed.

  • 「日本の人口 占める日本人の割合は95%である。」

  • 「中国人の全{ぜん}外国人{がいこくじん}観光客{かんこうきゃく} 占める割合は30%です。」

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.