I've seen in Genki I みんな used without a particle (no particle follows the word). For example:

たいていみんな寝ています

私のかぞくは四人です。みんなとてもしんせつです。

However, I've also seen sentences in which it is followed by a particle:

あなたがみんな救った

みんな日本に興味をもっている

Using it with a particle makes sense to me, since I translate it as everyone. Why is it sometimes followed by a particle and sometimes not?

Not only can particles be omitted sometimes, especially in colloquial speech, みんな can also be an adverb as well as a noun.

For example:

私の家族はみんな音楽が得意です。

Everyone in my family is good with music.

人はみんな違う。

All people are different.

|improve this answer|||||
    Thanks for anwsering. I understand the general reasons you give, but why would there be no particle in the examples I mentioned? They are not colloquial speech and I can't see how "minna" could be an adverb in them. – makamoe Sep 2 '19 at 18:24
  • The difference between the meaning of everyone and all. – JACK Sep 3 '19 at 11:42

From the chat, by @Chocolate:

たいていみんな寝ています -- here みんな is an adverb. the subject is omitted
"They are all asleep"

みんなとてもしんせつです。 here again みんな is an adverb. No particle required. The subject is 家族 "They are all kind."

Another example:

みんなが出かけたあと、~~ -- After everyone left, ~~

here みんな is a noun

家族がみんな出かけたあと、~~ -- After my family all left (or, everyone of my family left)

here みんな is an adverb

A few more similar words (which work both as nouns and adverbs):

• 全部
  • 全員
  • すべて
|improve this answer|||||
  • Thank you very much. I see it much clearly now. – makamoe Sep 3 '19 at 16:07
  • うわびっくりした笑😆 --- – Chocolate Sep 4 '19 at 13:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.