What does the 奈 in 神奈川県 mean? I saw the term listed as what on Jisho. One person sent me the definition of an altar and others say that it has no meaning just a sound.

• In particular, which part of your friends said definition are you not content with. It's insufficient? I can't find other explanations easily. – kimi Tanaka Aug 31 at 23:58
  • I chatted with Japanese people online, and received a few different answers, most commonly its for pronunciation only, but I wanted to obtain a definite answer, if possible. – JACK Sep 1 at 0:12
    There seems to be several hypothesis. 神奈川県の地名の由来・語源を解説。 . That might not be a definite one though. – kimi Tanaka Sep 1 at 0:57
  • Probably the Japanese pronunciation of a Chinese character, maybe bearing up, enduring? dictionary.hantrainerpro.com/chinese-english/… – JACK Sep 1 at 11:34
  • mdbg.net/chinese/… in Chinese, the character means how can one help. – JACK Sep 4 at 10:16

I adopt the hypothesis in the site 神奈川県 - 地名由来辞典.

この地に水源地が解からない川があり、「上無川(かみなしがわ)」と呼ばれていたため「神奈川」になったとする説。 "There were the river with the water source was unknown called 上無川{かみなしがわ} changed into 神奈川{かながわ}."

And my hypothesis is there were not so many rivers in the past. Therefore, they were often seeking the water source and found it important things. Then I have decided to look up the number of rivers by prefectures.

According to the site 数字で見る「日本の自然資源」月刊事業構想 編集部,

There are rankings in the page: 日本全国で川の数は、35,260に上り、一級河川の総延長*は88,000kmに及ぶ. 神奈川 is ranked No6 from the bottom in it. 石川 is No5 from the bottom. 香川 is No2 from the bottom.

enter image description here

一級河川の指定区間と指定区間外の合計数値 出典)国土交通省、一級河川の河川延長等調 *都道府県別(平成27年4月30日現在)

And looking up the origin of 香川県 - 地名由来辞典 古来より雨量が少なく、夏期に水枯れする河川が多かったことから、「かれかわ(枯川)」が転じて「かがわ」になったとする説。 Since long time ago, the amount of water is small. Therefore, there were many rivers dried up in the summer. Probably 「かれかわ(枯川)」: dried river changed into 香川{かがわ} because of that.

石川県 seems a little bit different 石川県 - 地名由来辞典. 県最大の河川である「手取川」は、上流から石を多く流すことから通称「石川」と言った。. 手取川{てどりがわ}, the largest river in the prefecture. Since it sheds many stones from upstream, it has changed so-called 石川{いしかわ} according to the wikipedia : 手取川 This time, the river was violent and needed to be paid attention.Prpbably That's why the river was called like that.

For 神奈川, I guess you can't pick up only 奈{な} kanji element. Hence 神奈{かな} is at least an ateji in 神奈川{かながわ}.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.