There is a sentence on IMABI:

太ったのはなぜだと思いますか

Which translates to:

Why do you think it is you got fat?

Why is it you think? If I were to translate it, it would be I really wonder why you got fat? (really comes from , which as I think has emphasis purposes after なぜ)

Where have I got it wrong? Or can this sentence be translated either way?

Here's a very simplified explanation: because the か makes it a question.

• And here I thought there is some greater magic happens : ) Is it safe to assume that whenever sentence is a question, it always points to you, if subject isn't clearly specified? – Nexen Aug 28 at 13:28
    @Nexen Context would generally make it clear, but I believe most unspecified questions would indeed be second person. – Aeon Akechi Aug 28 at 13:51
  • The main confusion I had with this was which is assertive and it's rude to say others thought with certainity. It was also pointed in related question - japanese.stackexchange.com/a/56908/9205 . Is なぜ (and maybe others: who/what/which) a special word and therefore it's okay to use ? – Nexen Aug 28 at 14:18
    @Nexen Using だ right at the end of a sentence sounds assertive and rude. With と思う you have to use だ after a noun or na-adjective. (Also だね, だよ, and the like don't quite sound as aggressive as だ) Also, while you generally use 思っている for other people, because this is a question, it's perfectly to use 思う. – Aeon Akechi Aug 28 at 14:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.