Is て sometimes dropped in Japanese Novella?

I'm asking as I recall being told (in one of my previous question's comment section) that て is sometimes dropped in Japanese novels. And yet, when I went to double check this information by searching the individual comment section of all my previously asked questions, I couldn't find the above claim.

"Dropped" is not such an accurate word here as the 「て」 is optional in the first place.

The te-form seems to enjoy a rockstar treatment in the world of Japanese-as-a-foreign-language. People love to talk about it, but what many rarely mention (or know about) is its informality.

The 連用形{れんようけい} ("continuative form") of a verb or adjective already contains within the meaning of the 「て」 without using the 「て」.

The point I am trying to make is that the te-form is more informal than the 連用形. The te-form is heavily used in our informal, day-to-day conversations because it fits there. The general tendency, however, is that the more formal the speech, the less often the te-form is used. In novels, therefore, the te-form is used far more often in the quotes than in the prose.

A couple of examples:

「あき子はカーテンを開{あ}け、『夜の東京タワー、きれいね。』とつぶやいた。」 vs.

「あき子はカーテンを開けて、『夜の東京タワー、きれいね。』とつぶやいた。」

「つぶやく」 = "to murmur". The chances are that you will encounter the first sentence in a novel.

「とも子の瞳{ひとみ}は大きく、黒く、どこを見ているのか分{わ}からなかった。」 vs.

「とも子の瞳は大きくて、黒くて、どこを見ているのか分からなかった。」

The second sentence sounds like what you would hear in a casual chat. You would not find it in a novel, at least not in the prose part.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.