I am a big fan of badminton, especially the Japanese players like Kento Momota-san, and in a few months they will come to my country, and I would like to get some of them to sign their autograph in my autograph book. I was thinking of saying: "サインをください" or "サインをおねがいしますか?", would that be wrong to ask like that or is there a better polite way of asking?

Taking your suggestions in turn: 「サインをください。」 sounds a bit demanding; it would be understood, but you can be more polite.

「サインをお願いしますか。」 is not natural, as お願いします is referring to your own wish; the か at the end rather thus confuses the nature of your wish.

I would probably go with: 「サインをいただけますか。」 -- literally meaning: "Could I get/receive your autograph?". This is polite, but probably not overly so for the context you describe.

• ah okay thank you for your comment! ありがとう!. i saw this video: youtu.be/s9QNE3p_taw but he just says "サインおねがいします" im thinking of saying that the first time i ask a player, and if they get mad/confused i will say "サインをいただけますか". thank you so much for the help, ありがとうございます!! – magnus Aug 27 at 12:04

サインをください isn’t used so much. サインください is better. And both are used more often by a delivery person.

I write here some examples you can use when you want his autograph.

サイン(を)頂くことって可能ですか?
サイン(を/って)頂いてもよろしいですか?
サイン(を)して頂いてもいいですか?
サイン(を)頂けませんか?
サイン(って)頂けますか?
サイン(を/って)貰うことってできますか?
サイン(って)して貰っても大丈夫ですか?
サイン(って)して貰ってもいいですか?
サイン(って)貰えますか?
サイン(って)大丈夫ですか?
サインいいですか?
サインお願いします。
サインください。

The higher is the more polite.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.