I was looking into a novel and I found the word 賃銀. According to my dictionary, this word has the same meaning as 賃金, which is wages, the money a person receive for a work/task.

They have the same pronunciation and 賃銀 is another form of 賃金 (according to jisho.org). But what I still don't know is in which case 賃銀 is used over 賃金.

jisho.org/search/賃銀 explains the kanji as written in other forms. – JACK Aug 24 at 14:59
  • Thank you I didn't know that ! But unfortunately, it doesn't tell in which case the other forms appear. – blaoi Aug 24 at 15:03
  • Usage and context may play a role. Please wait for an answer. – JACK Aug 24 at 15:07
  • According to the Wiki on 賃金, while 賃銀 was oft used in the past, from 1950 賃金 became the standard. Not an answer, as I'm not sure to what extend that standard is currently observed. – BJCUAI Aug 24 at 15:44

According to this site, 戦前は「俸給{ほうきゅう}」もしくは「賃銀{ちんぎん}」で、戦後は「賃金{ちんぎん}」に

「俸給{ほうきゅう}」

ホワイトカラーが受け取るものは「俸給{ほうきゅう}」と呼ばれていました。

The salary white collar worker received called 「俸給{ほうきゅう}」.

「賃金{ちんぎん}」(「賃銀{ちんぎん}」とも書く)

ブルーカラーが受け取るものは「賃金{ちんぎん}」と呼ばれていました。

The salary blue collar worker received called 「賃金{ちんぎん}」.

The sample expression from old novel,

「三度目に掛合つた老車夫が、やつとの事でお豊の望む賃銀[ちんぎん]で小梅行きを承知した」(『すみだ川{がわ}』永井荷風{ながいかふう})

Third Old-Rickshaw driver we had negotiated finally approved to go to Koume with salary Otoyo afforded.

Sumida-River, Sumidagawa by Kafū Nagai.

So, the salary written as 賃銀{ちんぎん} was payed for physical work before.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.