Here is my sentence.

おしろ あんたが頼みすぎなんだよ。

First, I'm not sure what おしろ means, perhaps somewhat could inform me since Jisho and google translate are both giving results that I don't think are correct. I'm thinking it's some sort of slang.

Now for the main question. I believe the なんだ to be the explanatory の and this sentence means, "(The thing is) You ask for too much." What's the reasoning for taking the る off here? すぎ would be the stem of すぎる. Every example I've ever come across of explanatory の with a verb has not used the stem. What's the difference here?

Masu-stem of a verb often works as a noun. Here 頼みすぎ is a noun meaning something like "over-asking".

Also note that 頼みすぎ is followed by な, which comes only after a noun or a na-adjective. 頼みすぎるなんだ is plain ungrammatical. Please check this list for the usage patterns of explanatory-な.

Compare:

• 彼は食べ過ぎだ。 He is eating too much. (Literally "As for him, it's over-eating")
  • 彼は食べ過ぎる。 He (always) eats too much.
  • 彼は食べ過ぎるんだ。 It is that he (always) eats too much.
  • 彼は食べ過ぎている。 He is eating too much.

As for おしろ, I also guess you've misread むしろ. Or it may be someone's name.

• It is むしろ. I was reading on my kindle and I guess my eye's didn't pick it up properly. Thanks a lot. – UCProgrammer Aug 23 at 12:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.