For context 4 characters who've decided to go to the beach but are late for the train after drinking all night.

1 character says they can take his car but only 2 people can fit there...

Another character then says this:

ズルい!

いっぱい休憩取って四人でいっぱいしましょう

I know that いっぱい休憩取って means "take a break" and 四人でいっぱいしましょう is something like "fit 4 people." I'm just not sure how the two connect.

Basically, does the "break/vacation" occur AFTER 4 people got in the car (and got into the beach)? Or do they want to take a break first BEFORE getting into the car?

I hope I made the question clear. Thanks.

四人でいっぱいする makes no sense to me at least in the context you provided. Are you sure you've copied it correctly? And can you provide a few more sentences before this? – naruto Aug 22 at 7:00
  • I want the sentence before ズルい!いっぱい休憩取って四人でいっぱいしましょう in Japanese. – Yamacure Aug 22 at 7:13
  • Please unaccept the answer as it is not right. I have to delete it and more context is needed before it can be answered. Sorry for being too hasty. – By137 Aug 23 at 1:50

It looks like the source of your confusion lies more in いっぱい than in 休憩.

いっぱい休憩取って = take a long (lit. "a lot of" or "to the full") break.

No kanji for this いっぱい

四人でいっぱいしましょう = (The 4 of us)drink together

This いっぱい in kanji is 一杯

一杯する = have a drink

So in its entirety

ズルい! いっぱい休憩取って四人でいっぱいしましょう
No! ※
Let's vacation and drink together!

※ズルい (lit. "That's not fair!"; referring to the person with the car taking only one person)
I translated it by situation rather than literally because it would sound too childish for a person of drinking age to go "That's not fair!" in that situation.

The character does not want the group to get split up, but wants to make sure they stay together on their vacation so they can relax and have drinks together.

This was probably intentionally written without kanji for the play on the two definitions of いっぱい。

As far as when the 休憩 happens, it is in the future, referring to the rest of their vacation.

If this is the case, why the second 一杯 written in kana? And 一杯 meaning a drink is usually not a suru-verb, although you can say 一杯やる or 一杯行く. – naruto Aug 22 at 23:12
  • I answered with the info given. I see what you mean about 一杯する. I was sure I had heard it before... Then I saw your comments about it not making sense, which made me wary but I thought I'd wait and see. Didn't expect to be accepted so quickly. Now I can't delete it. – By137 Aug 23 at 1:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.