I don't get the meaning of という店もあります in that sentence. I understand: "This month sales were 10 times higher than the sales from April last year", then I have no clue for the end of the sentence.

今月の売り上げが去年の4月の10倍になったという店もあります

My guess is:

"This month sales were 10 times higher than the sales from April last year for one of the shop".

By the way, this is the complete sentence:

大阪ではタピオカを入れた飲み物を売る店がたくさんできていて、今月の売り上げが去年の4月の10倍になったという店もあります。

Can you guys help me please?

• I know that you said that you have not clue for the end, but can you give us your best guess? It will help us give you a more useful answer. – ajsmart Aug 21 at 13:08
    Sure! My guess is: "This month sales were 10 times higher than the sales from April last year for one of the shop". By the way, this is the complete sentence: 大阪ではタピオカを入れた飲み物を売る店がたくさんできていて、今月の売り上げが去年の4月の10倍になったという店もあります。 – Joris Aug 21 at 13:21
  • も means "too" or an emphatic "even", so it could be talking about more than one store, or emphasizing that there is at least one store that has earned more money. I don't know the full context, but you got it right, imo. – Fireheart251 Aug 21 at 14:16
  • Thank you very much, it's clearer now! – Joris Aug 21 at 15:08

The main clause of this sentence is simple:

店もあります。
There are even/also stores.

And there is a long relative clause modifying 店. This という is quotative-と followed by 言う, but is a very common combination used to describe a following noun. See my previous answer for examples. In this case, you can use "where" or "in which".

~という店もあります。
There are even stores where ~.

Therefore:

今月の売り上げが去年の4月の10倍になったという店もあります。
There are even (tapioca) stores where this month's sales were 10 times higher than the sales from April last year.

(It could also be “a store” FWIW) – Darius Jahandarie Aug 22 at 0:32
  • FWIW, I think this という is a marker of reportative evidentiality, which conveys the nuance of, well, "reportedly" – goldbrick Aug 22 at 13:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.