I thought の when used in questions is for when you’re asking for an explanation or to have a curious tone, but んだ is also for explanation and I’ve seen both used to end questions so what are the differences between them?

• Once crucial difference is that generally, んだ can only end a WH-question (what, when, where, how, who). – Aeon Akechi Aug 21 at 2:20
  • @AeonAkechi We can say 見たんだ?... – naruto Aug 21 at 2:49
  • @naruto Not a native speaker, but doesn't that have a different nuance from 「見たの?」At any rate, that's why I said 'generally'. – Aeon Akechi Aug 21 at 3:32

For yes-no type questions:

1. 食べたの?
  2. 食べたんだ?

Sentence 1 is very common, and sounds friendly and neutral (i.e., you have no prior assumption). Syntactically, sentence 2 may not be a question, but with a question mark, it sounds more like a confirmation with a surprised and/or accusatory tone ("So...you ate it, is that right?").

enter image description here

For wh-type questions (どこ, 何, etc):

1. どこへ行くの?
  2. どこへ行くんだ?

Sentence 3 is a simple, gender-neutral, colloquial question. Sentence 4 sounds masculine (or sometimes militaristic), blunt and often oppressing. You usually don't have to say a sentence like 4 even to your family.

enter image description here enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.