How would you translate something like “so that you are/can be X”?

I bought this so that he’ll be safe.

I want to do this for you so that you’re happy!

closed as off-topic by BJCUAI, istrasci, l'électeur, Dono, ajsmart Aug 20 at 12:45

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations, transcriptions or proofreading are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not to provide a bulk translation service nor to proofread your translations or transcriptions. See: We don't do translations." – BJCUAI, istrasci, l'électeur, Dono, ajsmart
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• Voted to close due to this being a translation request. However, I would suggest ため(に) or ~よう(に) like examples shown here. – BJCUAI Aug 19 at 22:48
  • @BJCUAI what i don’t understand is howように/ために work with adjectives and the copula haha. 彼が安全だように、これを買った?is that correct? – jacoballens Aug 19 at 22:53
  • In that case, I suggest re-framing your original question so it is no longer off-topic. – BJCUAI Aug 19 at 22:57
  • That’s incorrect. だ can’t be before ように. 彼の安全のためにこれを買った will be better. – Yamacure Aug 20 at 0:18

Like mentioned in the comments you would use ように/ために. As for the question of how to combine this with adjectives and the copula you would normally use the adverbial form of the word in question. For example:

彼が安全にいられるようにこれを買った

美味しくするために塩を入れた

For the copula you can use である (which is another form of the copula) but I think in most cases なる and いる does the job better

美味しくなるために塩を入れた -- 「美味しくするために塩を入れた」か「美味しくなるように塩を入れた」って言うと思うんですけど・・ – Chocolate Aug 20 at 12:57
  • @Chocolate 確かにそっちのほうが自然!ありがとう – user11382889 Aug 20 at 13:24

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.