I'm sorry if this question has been answered before, but I did not find a suitable answer. Please provide reliable link if that is the case.

I would like to know the differences between the transitive verbs :

• 極める{きわめる}
  • 究める{きわめる}
  • 窮める{きわめる}

And also, for the intransitive verbs related :

• 極まる{きわまる}
  • 窮まる{きわまる}
  • 谷まる{きわまる}

Could you provide some simple sentences to understand the meaning of each better ?

• 極める is most used. 究める is used sometimes. 窮める is less used. 谷める is so difficult and most Japanese can’t read this. – Yamacure Aug 22 at 7:24

According to goo辞書 says, きわま・る〔きはまる〕【極まる/窮まる】の意味

1. 極{きわ}める/極{きわ}まる : (極める)これより先はないというところまで行き着く。
    • 富士山{ふじさん}の頂上{ちょうじょう}を極{きわ}める。

Achieving to the top of Mt.Fuji.

It is used in the supremum/infimum, the ultimate state.

2.(極める・窮める)極点に達した状態になる。この上もない程度までそうなる。

I think 窮める is used most often in negative sentence like this.

According to this site, 極める・究める・窮めるの違いや使い分けとは? - 国語力アップ, they say 窮めるとは物事/状況が行き詰まる事.

• 困難{こんなん}を窮{きわ}める。
  • 進退{しんたい}窮{きわ}まる

Getting stuck in the most hardest time/state

On the other hand, in some settings, it is used in affirmative way like No.4.

And, 極める is used in affirmative sentence.

• 贅沢{ぜいたく}を極{きわ}める。

Spending the most luxurious moment.

1. 残{のこ}るところなく尽{つ}くす。

• 口{くち}を極{きわ}めてほめる

Praise with the great acclaim.

4.(究める・窮める)深く研究して、すっかり明らかにする。

• 真理{しんり}を究{きわ}める・窮{きわ}める

Studying truth of things to the full.

1. 終わらせる。
  2. 決める。定める。

I think I have not used these meaning other than martial arts.

• 関節技{かんせつわざ}を極{き}める。

Holding his joints to get submission.

According to this site「谷」はなぜ「たに」と「きわまる」の意味があるのか? : 常用漢字論―白川漢字学説の検証, 谷{きわ}まる is used in the same way as No.2.

• 原文:人亦有言 進退維谷  
  • 訓読:人亦(また)言有り 進退維(こ)れ谷(きわま)る  
  • 翻訳:昔の人の言葉あり 「進退ともに窮まる」と――『詩経』大雅・桑柔

窮まって動きが取れない意味で使われている。「穴・くぼみ」というコアイメージがあるから、くぼみにはまって動きが取れなくなるというイメージに転じたのである。進むも退くもできなくなることを「進退谷{しんたいきわま}る」という。

It explains they have an image of a hole, which changed into the getting stuck and would not move.

I think this answer, while very good, could be amazing if you described the difference between transitive and intransitive verbs. Since some of the words he listed are actually transitive/intransitive pairs, I think that it would be very helpful for the asker to learn beyond the scope of the question you have already effectively answered. – ajsmart Aug 22 at 14:55
    @ajsmart Thanks for reviewing and suggestion! I hope to, but I am not used to distinguish binary distinction of transitivity carefully. So, I wish some else help to answer that part somewhat...but, maybe why not. – kimi Tanaka Aug 23 at 11:08
  • d, d, downvoted...Where should I fix at first? – kimi Tanaka Aug 24 at 1:14
    japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/52495/… Not the greatest explanation, but I think it's a good starting point. – ajsmart Aug 24 at 3:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.