I have seen the term サラリーマン for men. What is a female who works for a salary, regardless of occupation, called? Is サラリーウーマン appropriate?

Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/6137/… – Leebo Aug 17 '19 at 13:32
  • my question is specific to the female equivalent term for salaryman regardless of occupation. The salaryman term is not addressed in that question or answer. – TutorJack-YouTube Aug 17 '19 at 13:37
    Right, and that question discusses the options. Keep in mind that a サラリーマン in Japanese is not a word for "a man who earns a salary regardless of occupation." Many occupations that are salary-based would not be included in サラリーマン. – Leebo Aug 17 '19 at 13:43
  • My question is specific to salaried female employees – TutorJack-YouTube Aug 17 '19 at 13:51

We don't use サラリーウーマン. OL (pronounced オーエル) is a catch-all, wasei-eigo term for female office workers. Don't try to "spell it out" as オフィスレディー, which is usually not understood.

However, some people believe it mainly refers to low-ranking workers who does clerical work, and even English Wikipedia article for this is written with such a prejudiced view:

OL is a female office worker in Japan who performs generally pink collar tasks such as serving tea and secretarial or clerical work.

The Japanese version says it's essentially a neutral term. If you want to avoid misunderstanding, it's safest to just use 会社員 regardless of sex. サラリーマン is becoming a dated word, anyway.

EDIT: Note that both サラリーマン and OL mainly refer to office workers. Blue-collar workers are usually not called サラリーマン even if their income is salary-based.

Related

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.